Today we baked a cake, and the twins got a rare sugary treat. They have very different approaches to mealtime, Kieran is delicate (as delicate as a 20 month old can be) and Clover, well, she is a mess...
The little man got a bad scrape on his head last night. Poor thing.
Photo Info: Canon 5D 24-70mm 2.8 L Manual 1/250 sec f/3.2 ISO 800
The cake is THE easiest cake in the world to make, and is good for Allergy sufferers and Vegans. Wacky Cake, also known as Crazy Cake, was either developed during the Depression or during World War II. Made by home cooks who either couldn’t afford eggs and butter during the Depression, or couldn’t get eggs and butter during WWII because of rationing. The ingredients can be easily changed to make it a lemon, orange, ginger or basic vanilla cake.
Chocolate Wacky Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water or coffee (I prefer it with coffee)
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 F. Grease the pan.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Make 1 large and 2 small craters in dry ingredients. Add oil to large crater and vinegar and vanilla separately to remaining small craters. Pour water (or coffee) into bowl, and mix until just a few streaks of flour remain. Fill your pan and place in oven.
3. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 20-25 minutes for cupcakes.
4. Cool. Frost.
makes one 8″ square cake.